- 1 big onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ red bell pepper
- 0.5 dl ofolive oil
- 200 g tomato pulp
- 8 large prawns
- 200 g peeled shrimps
- 100 g half shell mussels
- 100 g shelled clams
- 100 g clams
- 400 g of carolino rice
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley or coriander
- Salt and piri-piri (to season)
Boil the seafood in 1.2L of water, and save the water.
Chop the onion, garlic and red bell pepper, in a pan sauté it in some olive oil slowly.
Add the tomato pulp and the water from boiling the seafood, leave that to simmer, season with salt and piri-piri.
Add the rice and after ten minutes the seafood, cook for another five minutes or until cooked, if necessary, add more water.
Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley or coriander.
150 g cooking chocolate
5 spoons of oil (what type of spoon)
4 eggs size XL
100 g sugar
1 coffee spoon of salt
60 g hazelnut kernel
1. Break the chocolate and melt it in a bain-marie or microwave.
2. Break the eggs, separate the yolks and whites, beat the yolks with the sugar until you get a fluffy, whitish cream and add it to the melted chocolate.
3. Beat the egg whites firm with salt and incorporate them into the previous preparation. Divide the mousse by the bowls and refrigerate until it solidifies (at least three hours).
4. Sprinkle with chopped walnut kernels and mint leaves.
for 4 people:
- 1 octopus (about 1 kg)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Chopped coriander
- Small potatoes for roasting
- 2 onions
1. Wash the octopus well. Cook the octopus with a whole peeled onion in salted water until tender. Remove, drain and cut into large pieces.
2. Wash the potatoes well and leave with the skin on and boil them a little in water seasoned with salt.
3. Remove the potatoes and give them a small punch to break the skin. Place the potatoes on a tray. Also place the octopus on the tray.
4. Sauté sliced garlic, chopped onion and coriander in olive oil. Place it over the octopus and potatoes.
5. Place in the oven for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally so that the octopus acquires the flavor of the oil.
– 1 octopus (2kg)
– 1 onion in quarters
– 1 bay leaf
– Salt as needed
– 3 cups of rice
– 2 packs of tomato puree
– 1 onion chopped
– 2 cloves of grated garlic
– Olive oil as needed
Cook the octopus together with the onion, salt and bay leaf in a pressure cooker until tender, about 30 minutes. When cooked, remove the broth and chop the octopus and save the broth cooked with the rice.
In a pan, put some olive oil, saute the onion and garlic. When the onion is translucent, add the tomato puree and cook for 3 minutes.
Add the rice, mix very well and then add the octopus seasoned with salt and 6 cups of octopus water. If you do not have enough, complete with water. Season with more salt to taste.
Cook until the rice is to your taste, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately. Enjoy
200g of nuts;
200g of sugar;
100g of flour;
1 dessert spoon of baking powder;
1. Break the walnuts and add to the flour and yeast and leave to rest. Turn the oven on, 180 degrees. Grease a pan with butter and sprinkle with flour
2. Mix the butter with the sugar until you get a cream. Add the eggs, one by one, and always mix very well. Then fold with the flour mixture and continue beating. Put in the cake pan and bake for 40 minutes.
3. Remove, let cool, and unmold.
4. Put on a plate and serve with tea or coffee.
(It´s a Portuguese Sandwich originally from Porto, made with bread, ham, fresh sausage, steak and covered with melted cheese and a hot and spiced tomato and beer sauce).
Ingredients: 1 francesinha
2 slices of bread;
1 small steak;
1 fresh sausage;
2 slices of mild ham;
6 slices of cheese;
½ a jar of tomato passata;
1 dl Porto wine;
1 cube of meat stock
1 tbsp of flour
1 tbsp of butter
Salt to taste
Piri Piri (Portuguese hot chilli sauce)
Potatoes cut into french fries
Corn, soy or sunflower oil to fry
Place all the ingredients for the sauce inside a heavy bottomed pan and heat it.
Grill the meats, cut the sausage and linguiça in half and then in 4 equal parts.
On top of a slice of bread place first a slice of cheese, on top place a slice of ham, then the 4 pieces of linguiça, on top the steak, followed by the fresh sausage, another slice of ham and another slice of cheese, top with the other slice of bread and on top a slice of cheese.
Place one slice of cheese on each side of the sandwich and place one more on top.
Put the sandwich inside a preheated oven for a couple of minutes just so the cheese starts to melt but let it toast.
Fry the egg in a bit of hot oil.
Remove from the oven, put the fried egg on top of the sandwich and immediately pour the very hot sauce over it – you want the bottom of the sandwich immersed in sauce and serve with the fries and a cold beer.
- water (300 ml)
- sugar (one tablespoon)
- honey (one tablespoon)
- cinannon stick (one)
- nuts (waltnuts in pieces, pine nuts and raisins)
- bread (100g)
In a pan put the water, sugar, honey, cinnamon stick and a dash of salt, boil it for five minutes. Then put the bread (in little pieces) until the bread disappeared and remove the cinnamon stick and use the magic wand to grind the bread.
Add the mix of nuts and stir in well.
Put on the platter and wait until it is cool before sprinkle cinnamon powder on top.
It is ready to serve.
- Slices of bread (baguette with about two or three cm thickness)
- 600 ml of milk (fat milk or whole milk)
- Lemon peel (three or four lemon peels (slices of lemon Peel))
- Cinnamon stick (one)
- Three tablespoons of sugar
- Three eggs
- Ten tablespoons of sugar with one tablespoons of cinnamon powder
- Oil for fries
In a pan bring half of the milk, the lemon peel, cinnamon stick and the three tablespoons of sugar to the heat. Stir and let it warm for ten minutes on a low heat.
After ten minutes remove the cinnamon stick and the lemon peels. Turn of the heat and stir and add the remaining milk. Let it stand until the milk is cold.
On a soup plate put the milk and put one slice of bread and turn it. Repeat for all the slices of bread.
On a soup plate put the eggs and beat them. Put the slices of bread in the beaten eggs and turn them.
In a frying pan put the oil to heat, put the slice of bread and leave for five. Remove when the slices of bread are golden brown.
In a plate put the sugar with cinnamon powder and turn the golden slices into this mixture.
Put on the plate or platter with absorbent paper and it is ready to serve.
1.5 kg of field chicken
5 tbsp of olive oil
1 large chopped onion
4 chopped cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
200 ml of white wine
360 gr of “carolino” rice
175 ml of white wine vinegar
Salt (to season)
Pepper or chilli (to season)
A pinch of cumin
First mix the vinegar with the blood and leave to rest. Season the chicken with salt, pepper or chilli and wrap well, leave to rest for 1 hour (minimum).
In a large pot, sauté the onion, the garlic, the bay leaves with the olive oil. Mix but don’t let it brown. After that add the chicken and let it brown evenly.
After browning the chicken, add the white wine and 2lts of boiled water, cover and boil for 40/50 minutes, up until the chicken is tender.
Now, it’s time to add the rice (you can wash the rice, if you like) mix and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
Past this time (you can add more water, if you like the “malandrinho” rice), when it’s boiling add the cumin (optional) and the blood, mix and when it starts to simmer, turn it off. Now it´s ready. Serve immediately and sprinkle with the parsley.
I N G R E D I E N T S:
* garlic , 2 or 3 cloves
* coriander or pennyroyal or green bell pepper (in my case pepper)
* olive oil
* bread – 1 or 2 days old preferably
* fish , codfish or hake (in my case hake)
* eggs (depends on the amount people)
– First , put the fish in a pan and let it cook, the time depends on the fish and your taste
– Chop the garlic and the green pepper, put it on a terrine ( image 2) or bowl add salt and mash all the ingredients together until it forms a paste. Then add the olive oil, to taste
– Returning to the fish, if it’s already cooked, break the eggs into the pan with the fish in the boiling water. When the eggs are to your taste turn off the stove
– Now add everything in the terrine with the spices, the water with the fish and the eggs.
– Cut the bread in slices or cubes and put it in the terrine or add it gradually during the meal